Monday, August 12, 2019

European virtues and New York vices

Montreal was interesting - it struck me as a blend of European virtues and New York vices, sort of what I expected. Among the "New York vices" is an uncontrollable tendency to erect glass towers. What's that all about? Granted I don't live in New York any more, but I can't help noticing that they are still erecting glass towers in 2019 - lots and lots of them. I was hoping that in the 21st century the city would try to create (and preserve) more open space. I guess that would run counter to the New York real estate mindset, but other cities around the world are doing precisely that. I would like to see less "building frenzy" in New York and more architecture. Bring back the old Penn Station, brick by brick. Recognize that when something is "built to last", it should last. (Above, a new glass tower in NYC that I admit is interesting.)

1 comment:

  1. It IS interesting, but I am not sure I would want to be on that part sticking out for more than a few minutes. Reminds me of The Ledge in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete