Thursday, June 15, 2023

Standin' on the Corner


My friend got a big kick out of the "Standin' on the Corner" landmark just a few blocks west of the La Posada Hotel. I'm amazed at how many of the hit songs from my youth have not only stood the test of time, but have become American institutions. The 1972 hit "Take it Easy" by the Eagles is a prime example. In 1999 the city of Winslow established Corner Park in honor of "The Corner"; then in 2016, with the passing of lead singer Glenn Frey, a life-sized statue of the man was unveiled. This attraction is conveniently located on historic Route 66, so a steady stream of visitors stop at "The Corner" and the souvenir shop across the street and various other nearby shops, making this a win for the local economy.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t recall the statue when we were hanging on that corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant “standing” on that corner.

    ReplyDelete